Since we have had a substantial amount of rain, the mosquitoes have been out like crazy! When you walk outside you seem to be covered in them. Everyone is walking around swatting just trying to get to the vehicle to leave.
Here are some ways that you can keep them from biting you, so that you can find relief when you walk outside.
1. Try chemical-free repellents – There are many different sprays that you can use to prevent mosquitoes from biting. Safer alternatives than just using those that include DEET are : oil of lemon eucalyptus, a major mosquito enemy. Try the brand “Repel,” which uses the fragrant oil to ward off bites.
2. Time when you decide to go outside – Try to stay inside during dusk and dawn. These are peek times for many types of Mosquitoes to be out.
3. Keep Standing water to a minimum – With the amount of water we have experienced recently, it is hard to get rid of all of it. However, if you have standing water such as Kiddie Pools or any other standing water source, drain it. These attract the mosquitoes. Make sure that you put on repellant if you are going to be near water.
4. Wear light colored clothing. – Bugs attract to darker colors. Wear light colors so that you are not as attractive to the mosquitoes.
5. Don’t wear flowery perfumes – Everyone wants to smell nice, and the flowery smells from Bath and Body Works are the best. However, mosquitoes love nectar from flowers. They love it almost as much as they do humans, so stick with a less floral fragrance for the summer.
Mosquitoes are pesky little insects and are a pain when they are everywhere. This summer make sure that you are making the necessary precautions to keep them from biting you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your local Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Agent.
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
County Extension Agent – Family and Consumer Science